Pages

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

EGO DEATH

My review of DawnRichard’s Blackheart ranked pretty well.  I was shocked because…I don’t know what I’m doing.  Like, my Dad is a musician and producer but I inherited 0 of those skills.
Sorry Dad.  In contrast, listening to music and downloading it from iTunes should deem me experienced enough.  Right?

I was first introduced to the Internet via Dontcha.  I must have been watching one of those video channels I forget I have until I’m uber bored and start flipping.  I was familiar with Syd the Kyd as a member of Odd Future but had no idea The Internet existed.  In fact, Dontcha is from their second studio album.  Their third album was released on June 29th and if my memory serves me correctly, I downloaded it a day or two later.   

Ego Death contains 12 tracks and features artists such as Janelle Monae, Vic Mensa, James Fauntleroy, KAYTRANADA, Steve Lacy, and Tyler, The Creator.  I don’t know who some of these folks are (see underlined) and I’m sure it’s because I’m uncool and out of touch with “the underground scene.”  Nonetheless, they are positive contributions to the album. 

Syd the Kyd’s angelic voice + the album’s blend of soul, R&B, and a smudge of Hip Hop makes for a euphoric experience.  So far, my favorites are: Get Away, Gabby, Under Control, heck…I just play the whole album.  I haven’t really had the urge to skip any song. I’m still at the “listening to it over and over and over and over and over again” stage.  I’m pretty sure it’ll be a month or so before I break out of it. 

Lastly, I think it’s worth mentioning how we’ve evolved as a society because Syd the Kyd is in fact a woman singing about women.  I’m no expert on the history of music but I think Syd and fellow Odd Future member Frank Ocean are trailblazers.  I’m pretty sure their music transcends homophobia OR some of you guys are pretending you don’t know who they are and that you don’t listen to them.  You know who you are...  Any who, Ego Death is available wherever music is sold, duh.  You guys can be so lazy sometimes… 

You know I need friends so like Pink Gumbeaux on Facebook and follow me on Twitter and Instagram.  And, check out my last boring post: Why You Better Have Rihanna's and My Money.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...