Pages

Monday, July 27, 2015

29.8 YEARS OLD

A friend of mine told me that once you turn 30, things change overnight; for example, one’s metabolism.  As of now I’m two months or so from 30 and am already noticing things:

  1. Keeping up with the latest apps is a struggle.  What’s Snapchat and how is it different from Instagram?  I’ve downloaded Periscope but have yet to post a video, it’s just taking up space on my phone.
  2. Who are these new rappers and singers that all sound the same? I remember hearing my grandparents say this about the music I listened to.  What’s worse is some of the associated dances.  You will not see me whip or Nae Nae, I’m too much of a stick in the mud.  Side note: Silento sounds like a cooking ingredient -_-
  3. Social media behavior.  This hasn’t been as much as a struggle for me because I do have people I can complain to offline but on the other hand…
  4. Reaching 30 has allowed me to come to a place where I sincerely do not care.  I’m comfortable with myself more than ever and the very very very small segment of people I care about accept me; therefore, why would I care about the opinion of others?  Side note: I’ve encountered more gossip and rumors as an adult then in elementary, middle and high schools.
  5. Health and exercise matters.  Just two years ago, I was at my ideal weight.  I remember complaining about loosing 10 pounds but now I have waaaaaay more to work off.  I’m not concerned about society’s criteria, I just enjoy shopping in the junior’s department.  It’s cheaper.  Most importantly, I don’t want Hypertension, Diabetes and other associated illnesses that plague the African American community.
  6. My body plays no games… Although I still don’t like to use public restrooms, I’m getting to a point where I may not have a choice.  I can no longer hold anything in over a long period of time.
  7. My tolerance towards certain foods have changed.  Another thing I’m not doing late, eating.  I recently started experiencing heartburn when consuming certain foods or eating late and it’s very uncomfortable.  Me to Husband: “either I’m having a heart attack or heartburn, I’m not sure.”  Husband: “It’s probably heartburn.” Me: “I think I’m dying…”
  8. I have little to no desire to do anything past 8:30 P.M. Look, I have things to do and a life to balance.  I need to start prepping for the next day and get a good night’s sleep so I can get up early enough to workout, have breakfast and pretend to be a morning person.
  9. I need more than money from my career.  I’m on my 3rd degree so clearly I want a good quality of life; however, I’m over punching in, walking around like a zombie and punching out.  I’m no Malala Yousafzai but I would love to leave a little footprint.
  10. 20 somethings get on my nerves and I want out.  Some of the things they care about, talk about it is just….grrrrrrr.  I think my younger self was pretty cool.  Work and school has always been important to me but if I could give advice to others I would say: Dating is not a priority, save and invest (you are never too young), don’t get credit cards, keep your future in mind and travel!
Pink Gumbeaux is undergoing construction, watch your step!  We're creating a brand new website that will launch soon! Till then, you know I need friends so like Pink Gumbeaux on Facebook and follow me on Twitter and Instagram.  And, check out my last post: Synesthesiac

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...