Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

THE 411 ON MY MARRIAGE COUNSELING SESSIONS PT. II

PREMARITAL COUNSELING IS OVER!!! Thank gosh, lol.  It is the most annoying but necessary process.  Although I stated this in the first post, I just want to reiterate that I appreciated taking counseling from a relationship expert who we did not know versus the church which I've pretty much generalized because there can be hints of misogyny and I did not need that to enter our relationship...

Read: The 411 on My Marriage Counseling

Most consider us to be the "ideal" case since we aren't bringing any kids to the table, don't shack, and haven't been previously married. However, we do bring student loan debt.  It's going to be nearly impossible to come into a marriage perfect, this is not 1933.  Because we informed the counselor that we would be pushing our nuptials up, we needed specifics.  How do we start this off right and how can we sustain?  Two books were recommended to us: Things I Wish I'd Known Before We Got Marriedand His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage    

Side note: I found these books sort of depressing but since it discusses the realities of marriage, it helps to read them. 

So in my personal, non-trained relationship expert opinion, it helps if you know your mate well, that your future plans align, and that no one is in your business (friends and family).  Develop a financial plan and ensure you keep working at your marriage like you would do anything else you really want. Don't take your partner for granted, keep dating, and remember that counseling isn't reserved for marriage planning.  I intend to use it once or twice a year and financial counseling is also an ongoing process because we're trying to be ballers.  Know what I'm saying?
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...